Thursday 17 May 2012

Sprouting!


Spinach (Monnopa - seeds from Greta's organic gardens)
Sprouting is my absolute favourite time of the year in the garden.  I mean don't get me wrong - I love seeding, collecting the bounty, tucking my plants in for the winter, and planning out the garden for next year; but there is just something so alive and fresh about sprouting.  It's a reminder that life is all around us whether it be plants, new friends, or new opportunities sprouting up around us.  It's almost like a little teeny tiny moment of redemption out there... but enough of that!

Over the last week I've had quite a few little surprises popping up - I really wasn't expecting much to come up until the start of next week because it's been a little bit cool and rainy here.  However, Mother Nature has surprised us with a few beautiful sunny days, which has in turn surprised me with plants, which makes for one incredibly happy girl.
 
Rainbow mix chard (Greta again!)
My sprouts so far:
- spinach
- swiss chard
- lettuce
- potatoes
- shallots
- radishes
- peas

I'm still waiting on my purplette onions and a few containers of older lettuce.  I'll be quite surprised if any of those germinate though - the seeds were around 4 years old...but!  That's the joy of sprouting isn't it?




No comments:

Post a Comment