Thursday 28 June 2012

Food history: Swiss chard

Today I'm home sick with a stomach bug and stuck in bed.  Thankfully The Man set up the laptop in bed for me.  I'd like to think it's because he loves me and wants me to have all the creature comforts possible during my time of need.  Realistically?  He doesn't want me spreading germs on the main level.  To keep myself occupied, I decided to search some plant history.  There will be more of these posts in the coming weeks - however today, the only item I have several decent pictures of is Swiss Chard.  And I feel like garbage, I'm so not going out there to take new ones.  And now, with out further adieu, let me introduce Swiss Chard!

Swiss chard is one of the healthiest vegetables around.  It's a descendent of the beet family, and has been selectively bred for it's nutritious leaves for as long as we can remember.  Well, at least as far back as ancient Greece.  Although not overly popular in North America (unless you're a nutrition buff), it's considered to be a prized food in Mediterranean areas. The name "Swiss Chard" comes from the Artichoke thistle of all things - otherwise known as Cardoon or Cadre in French.  Apparently someone thought that Swiss Cadre would be a great name for the plant, and the name stuck - albeit the corrupted version Chard.  Depending on where you are, you will also find Chard masquerading as Roman Kale, Silverbeet, Leaf beet, and Sicilian beet.

Bright lights chard
For being rather unassuming, Swiss chard is a vegetable powerhouse - one cup cooked supplies more Vitamin K and A then you need in a day, 50% of your vitamin C, 22% of your required iron, and a whopping 10% of your daily required calcium intake.  Most people have eaten it, but very few realize what exactly they have eaten.  I was no exception.  Years ago a friend of mine suggested growing some chard, and I did.  That year I learned that the weird not-quite-spinach item in my baby greens was chard.  Yes, I am confessing.  I don't like chard.  I wish I did.  It's just so darn good for you.  I've tried sauteing it, hiding it in lasagna, using it in a shake, steaming it, eating the baby leaves in my salad.  All of it is a no go. 


It is pretty isn't it?


But yet, I can't seem to stop growing it.  Look at it! Honestly, how can you say no?   It's leaves are gorgeous and complemented by slender, attractive stems.  It's hardy.  It gives added depth to the appearance of my garden.  Just don't put it on my plate.  But do look at it.  It's gorgeous inside and out.
Second pot of chard - after being cut back ruthlessly due to the leaf miners
This year, I grew two pots worth - I figured I'd spread the love to my Chard eating friends and family.  Sadly, one pot was infected with leaf miners earlier this year.  Just when I think it's free (like I did when I took the picture above), I go out, and find another infected leaf.  As I mentioned in a previous post, leaf miners are hardy little pests, and we've managed to wipe out almost all of their natural predators through wide spread use of pesticides. So, it seems the one small pot below will continue to struggle since I have to keep pinching it back.  However, I'm convinced I'll win it was two weeks from the last infected leaf until the one I found this morning.  Chard grows right up to the frost (and after! depending on the severity), so I have time on my side.  Maybe, just maybe once I kick this stomach bug, I'll try eating it.  Maybe this time I'll actually like it.

Happy growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment